Founded in 1891, on land donated by Mary Swanwick Morton,
St. Saviour's Anglican Church was originally built by and for the railway workers and their families who lived and worked at the first railway station east of Toronto Union Station.
The church is established within the cluster of historic buildings that once formed the centre of a busy town: the police station (now Centre 55), the fire hall, Kimberley Avenue Public School, and the Main Street branch of the Toronto Public Library.
Over the past century, the community has seen many changes. The once busy train station and the Grand Trunk Railway roundhouse have long since closed, giving way to the new housing developments that are revitalizing the community. Transportation still plays a key role in the vitality of the community: the original train station now serves as the Danforth GO Train station, and streetcars and the subway are nearby.